Thursday, June 27, 2013

71>71 Tom, Field & Willey --- June 27th, 2013

Lucky Day!

I had been anxious to get in a hike this week because I know I'll have to miss some weeks in July when I begin a remodeling project here at camp.  But the weather forecasts have been horrible and my chances were looking ify.  Then I came up with a plan that let me bail out at two different points if the rain got bad.  It worked perfectly.  I bagged three peaks, felt only a light sprinkle of rain and, I saw a Pine Marten!

I don't keep any formal "Bucket List" but if I did, seeing a Pine Marten in the wild would be near the top.  Why?  Because I had never seen one and I've always wanted to.  I have come upon most all the other creatures that frequent places up high --- the Canada Jays, Lynx, Moose, Spruce Grouse, etc. but this one had eluded me ----- till today.



"Looking for three piles of stone in the woods" is a phrase I might have used to describe today's hike if I hadn't seen the Marten.  The summits of Tom, Field and Willey are wooded.  Cairns identify them.  Views are found only at open ledges or fir waves.


Tom's summit cairn








 

Field







Willey














The day began foggy but then brightened till some heavier weather again during early afternoon.

Trailhead is at the Crawford Notch RR station


Early the trial is in nice stands of birch

but then transisions to mixed woods nearer the ridge.



Wooded ridge walks are always a lot of fun.  I'm convinced that Bilbo Baggins lives up here --------------











But of course there is the wind, and blowdowns -------------



I had just come out of this mess when I saw the Pine Marten step on to the trail about 20 feet ahead of me.  I fumbled for my camera, it looked at me then jumped off trail and disappeared.  So I do not have photographic evidence --- but I'll keep trying!                                                        (Thanks for all your work, Trailcrew!)



A few views:

Field form Tom


Tom from Field




Willey from Field


Carrigain Notch


telephoto of Mt. Washington Hotel



And there were some nice cascades on the brook near the end:








Looking back up at Field and Tom from the parking lot:



###




























No comments:

Post a Comment