Wednesday, June 19, 2013

71>71 Carrigain --- June 19, 2013

1960
2013


Just a few years since I was last on Carrigain.  

There were some differences:  
Then I hiked it in an afternoon.  (I had also hiked to Zealand's summit that morning.  Both are 10 mile round trips!)  Today it took me 7 1/2 hours on Carrigain alone.
Then I don't remember meeting any other hikers.  Today there were at least a dozen --- and 3 dogs.
Then there was a fire tower on top.  Today there is just a platform.

And yet, some things stay the same: 
Then I wrote, "---- a beautiful day and the views were wonderful and you really work for them on that mountain --- a long steady climb all the way."  Today I would say the same!
































Except for some very nice woods walking at the beginning, this is typical of much of the trail up to Signal Ridge.



With an occasional wet spot.


Then, after breaking through the twiggy wood ----- 


----- a view opens up.  Carrigan Notch leading into the Pemi Wilderness on the left.


Then along the ridge to the summit.







And another contrast on the tower --- 2013 & 1960.




My lunch spot.  Best seat in the house!


With flowers on the table!






No comments:

Post a Comment