Tuesday, July 9, 2013

71>71 4th Howk --- July 9, 2013


4th Howk (NE shoulder to Madison) because it's on my new list.  If you wonder what that is, see a June post, 71>71 --- My New List.
A fun and interesting day.  Began early at Howker Ridge trailhead off Pinkham B Road for an up and back hike.  Weather was gray with occasional drizzle.  Stayed that way till just before end of hike when  peeks of sun shone through.

Trail begins on a side hill swamp.


But soon follows Bumpas Brook with interesting water features.







After the brook is the Bear Pit and a beautiful stand of Spruce.









Remember this spot!



Up over Howk 1, 2 and 3 to Howk #4 was wet.  At one point I saw a slug climbing up a spider web off the saturated ground!









At 4th Howk, even though it rained, the alpines were making a show.










On the way down I began to think I might see a moose because of all the moose poop on 1st Howk.



When I got to the thick young spruces, near the Bear Pit, I stopped to admire them again ------ and something in them moved!



Then it appeared up out of the greenery.  I tried to make it take the shape of a moose, but it didn't.  Then it struck me ---- it's a bear!  It's a very big bear.  It's right in my face.  Does it have a cub?  I may be in deep shit here.  Do black bear bury their kill like grizzles do?  I may never be seen again!  Instinctively my hiking poles came up to the ready and I yelled.  The bear fell forward back down on it's front legs, but that made it appear to be lunging ahead.  I yelled again.  The shrubbry thrashed, there was some grunting ------- and the bear ran away from me!  As I said earlier, it was an interesting day to be out in the woods!




No comments:

Post a Comment