Sunday, July 27, 2014

71>71 Liberty & Flume July 25, 2014


Out and back --- Liberty Spring then Franconia Ridge Trails over Liberty to Flume and return.  I began at the north bound Basin parking lot.  Then down the bike path and looked for the woods walk up to the hairpin turn on Liberty Spring trail.  I missed finding it going in, so continued to the established trail junction where LST leaves the bike path.  An uneventful trip up except for the relentless grind from midway to the ridge ---- and the number of hikers passing me by!  I have come to accept a few but when most everyone passes me it becomes a bit discouraging!  "Slow and steady, slow and steady" has become my mantra.  It helps.

Mt. Liberty --- or, Washington lying in state.

Just a few of the rocks on the way up.

On Liberty's summit a bit of lunch, a steady breeze to keep the bugs at bay, and great views in spite of the  lingering haze.

Summit ledges
and views



north along Franconia Ridge




and South to Mt. Flume (next stop.)
Then when on Flume --- looking back to Liberty


 On the return trip I was able to find the short cut between lower Liberty Spring Trail and the bike path.  I hesitate to call it a bushwack (it's pretty well worn, but hard to locate on the low end.)  For those looking for a landmark to find it's junction off the bike path --- just look for this tree!






No comments:

Post a Comment