Wednesday, July 16, 2014

71>71 Cabot July 10th, 2014

Mt. Cabot --- the northern most NH 4000 footer.  I have previously hiked it from the east.  This time I came in from the north via Unknown Pond Trail from Stark then Kilkenny Ridge Trail.  One reason I wanted to try this route was the guidebook's description of a large stand of birch along the trail.  I'm especially fond of nice forests of most all types, and White Birch are a special favorite.






Some of my ancestors in the late 1800's and early 1900's owned peg mills (think short stubby toothpicks.)  They were used primarily for "pegging" shoe soles to the uppers.  Though pegs were being replaced by stitching in this country, they were still in demand in Europe.  Birch was the preferred wood and clear straight grained trees were most desirable.  I suspect my Great Grandfather and I would have had a "difference of opinion" on the need to cut these magnificent trees.  I value them very highly for their aesthetic value alone!

One beautiful tree!

After reaching the first height of land, remote Unknown Pond is reached.  The setting could not be more magnificent.  The only thing missing were trout rising and a loon calling.  The yellow water lilies were there.

The Horn over Unknown Pond




At Unknown Pond, Kilkenny Ridge Trail breaks off to the south passing over The Horn and The Bulge to Mt. Cabot.

Lunch on The Horn looking at The Bulge and Mt. Cabot

Looking South from the Horn

Cabot is one of the more remote 4000 footers, but still I was surprised to not meet a single other hiker on such a beautiful mid-summer's day.  My only companions were the mountain climbing toads.  For a period of time each summer I see lots of toads on most all mountains --- always heading uphill!  Do any of you other hikers EVER see them heading down hill?  I don't.  Which raises the question ---- "why aren't our summits all overrun with toads?"  I for one want to know, "why did the toad climb the mountain and what did he do when he got there?"

Always uphill?

And toadstool season is beginning too


The summit area of Cabot is a wooded ridge.  The "true" summit is identified with a distinctively marked stick.


And then I get to take in all the splendor again on the way down!

Add caption



No comments:

Post a Comment