Monday, November 3, 2014

Shenandoah briefly revisited

In 1960 I took a time off from collage to hike the Appalachian Trail (south bound.)  I didn't finish.  After about 800 trail miles and a bit of hitchhiking I found myself in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. While I was there two teeth abscessed and I returned home to have the necessary root canals.  I have always missed seeing more of the Blue Ridge and the Smokies.

This past week Susan and I traveled to the area and we walked a short section of the AT at Compton Gap that I certainly hiked over 50 years ago (but nothing looked familiar.)


A few memories of those days ----- the skies were hazy all the time, flying squirrels raided my food bag most every night, swimming at a small pool below a waterfall with a large troop of Boy Scouts, the friendly couple I met at a Skyline Drive crossing who insisted I take one of their picnic sandwiches and a glass of punch because I "looked terribly hungry," and the cheap motel room in Waynesboro where I waited (uncomfortably) to see a dentist!

I've been asked why I didn't finish the full AT with section hikes.  I've certainly had years enough to have completed it, but it never interested me.  Since then I've really preferred to hike what ever appealed to me at the moment rather than put on miles to complete a trail or a list.  So it surprised me, when, a few years ago I wanted very much to finish my NH 4000 footers.  As a wise man once explained to me, "consistency of one's thinking is something we strive for, but seldom achieve."

I was glad to have made the short reminiscent hike last week --- it jogged my memory as expected.  I am also thankful for Susan's understanding and encouragement --- She made the hike especially fun.

Maybe I'll be able to report on a few more short hikes, in my favorite White Mountains, before winter fully settles in.  Stay tuned ------ if you have any interest in my wanderings.

No comments:

Post a Comment