Saturday, September 13, 2014

71>71 Bond, West Bond, Guyot & Zealand Sept.12th, 2014

A long day.  Four additional summits.  A step back from civilization.  And, tired legs!
Yesterday's hike was a long one for me --- a rocky, up and down 17.6 miles.  At my typical pace I figured 14 hours.  There are only 13.5 hours of daylight in mid September so I began at 5:00 am using my headlamp.  I stepped back in to my truck at 6:10 pm.
Was it worth it?  Of course it was!  The Bonds hold some special attraction for most all White Mountain hikers.  It's hard to pin down just what that attraction is, but their remoteness certainly has much to do with it.  To quote from The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains, "The Bonds are about as far away from civilization as one can get in the Whites."
There are three Bond summits showing up on most lists: Bond, West Bond and Bondcliff.  I had checked off Bondcliff two years ago when I hiked in to it from the south.  Now I needed the remaining two, as well as Mt. Guyot and Mt. Zealand, which are in the same area.
This hike came in (and returned) from the north via Zealand, Twinway and Bondcliff Trails.  The day started off cloudy (actually black because the sun wasn't even trying to peak through the clouds at 5:00 am) but the forecast was for it to improve somewhat during the day.  Just as a bit of daylight did begin to show through I started climbing up in to clouds --- very wet clouds!

5:00 am (enhanced)

First light (actual)

Clouds across Zealand Pond --- soon I'll be wallowing my way up through them

At Zealand Pond I turned west and after passing the AMC hut and making a rocky climb I reached Zeacliff ledges ----- with their notable views.  Oh, but wait, I was still in the clouds so there was no view!

The morning view from Zeacliff   --- but remember this spot, I'll be back later

From Zeacliff I continued along the Twinway Trail with a short jaunt out to the summit of Mt. Zealand and then hit both summits of Mt. Guyot by turning south on Bondcliff trail.

Much of Twinway is a flat ridge walk 

Other sections are not flat

Summit in the Woods


A not so stealthy trailside campsite

At Guyot the clouds began to lift.  For a few hours during mid-day the skies became mostly clear, only to cloud over again later.

Guyot's East summit

And it's west summit

A colorless "rainbow"as the clouds were lifting

"My" two Bonds were next.  The last time I was here the half mile out to West Bond was more of a bushwack than a trail, I spent the night at Zeacliff Pond Shelter and the summit of Bondcliff wasn't yet recognized on the 48 list!  Those who've spent some time in these mountains can figure how long ago that was.  I do remember having been on Bond and West Bond ----- but just barely.  Lucky for me though, my journal even records the date.  Today's memories will last awhile I'm sure.  The first time here, as a boy, I probably flew through and then checked them off the list.  Today's dark start, strenuous footing, lifting clouds and maybe a bit more contemplative mood certainly heightened the occasion.

West Bond ahead

Looking at Bondcliff from West Bond ( the photo I use in the title to this blog is from near the summit of Bondcliff looking along the ridge toward Mt. Bond.)

Bond from West Bond

The "back side" of South Twin from West Bond

Then Bondcliff from Mt. Bond

And West Bond from Bond with  Franconia Range in the distance


And then it was time to turn around and head out the same way I came in -------------


Back over Guyot with clouds moving in again

Then a few hints of the season's change




Finally back at the view from Zeacliff Ledges

 And, the real reason I wanted the view to open up -------  contrast the two photos below.
Hair may gray, trees may grow, rock may erode, but boys still want to play in the hills!

2014



1957




Oh, and one last reason why this trip was special to me.  I am now only one remaining hike away from completing my 71>71 list.  Stay tuned ------ a report coming soon to a blog near you.






No comments:

Post a Comment