Thursday, May 29, 2014

71>71 Garfield May 29, 2014

What a day to be on Mt. Garfield!  A comfortable temperature, gentle breeze, practically no bugs, few other  people, wildlife, wildflowers, and skies clear enough to suck your eyeballs out!  Garfield is the pointy peak that shows up so prominently to the northeast of Lafayette.


I went up and back on the Garfield Trail from the north.  It's a 10 mile round trip with mostly moderate grades.  Much of the trail follows an old tractor road used during the 1940's to access a fire tower.  A concrete foundation still remains on the summit ledges and I found one telephone pole about half way up the trail.




I love being in the woods in Spring.  I find myself "looking" more during this season --- there's so much to see!  I've been through a few Springs during my lifetime and still I don't tire of them.  I think I like the newness of it all.  Lucky me!
Some of today's wild flowers:

Wood Anemone

Rose Mandarin

Trout Lily


A stand of Moose Hobble

And there was wildlife too.  I heard a steady chorus of rat-tat-tats from woodpeckers and dull drumming from partridge, but never saw them.  Nor did I see the moose that I startled at a bend in the trail.  But I was able to get photos of a chattering red squirrel and an elusive Hermit Thrush:






I had planned to eat my lunch at the summit -- and I did, but I hadn't planned to be so mesmerized by the views.  I lingered there awhile!
To the north is civilization (and a huge scar on the landscape from Cassella's landfill in Bethlehem.)  I won't post a picture of it.  But to the east and west are the Twin and Franconia Ranges.  And to the south is the Pemi Wilderness ---- spectacular!!!!!!!!

North and South Twin.  The speck at center-right is the Galehead AMC hut
The "back side" of the Franconia Range

The Pemi Wilderness with Owl's Head featured ever so prominently.

But now it's time to leave the summit.  Here's a short video clip to give you a feel for the hike down:

Oops, Blogger won't process the video.  Sorry.






3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I can't wait to get out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayton: I sent your blog link to my friends who are doing the bike trip in the White Mts. in July. I had to cancel out because of a shoulder problem, but I'll be in
    Littleton from July 11-13 and staying at the "former" Perkins Motel with Janet Trabucco. Will also see Cynthia Sweet and others in town. Will you be around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      I happened to talk with Cynthia about a week ago. She told me you would be here 6/13 -- 6/15. We left it that if you came out this way (Partridge Lake) to stop to see if I am at home ---- but now I'm nearly certain that I'll be over at Susan's, in Maine, that weekend. Would enjoy meeting you again after these few years. I appreciate your very interesting blog reports!
      Enjoy your trip, Dayton

      Delete